Thursday, November 16, 2006

festival of contemporary japanese women poets

Despite my protests to the contrary, I ended up going to the Festival of Contemporary Japanese Women Poets last night. I'm very glad I did. The poets from Japan--Ryoko Sekiguchi, Takako Arai, Kiriu Minashita, and Kyong-Mi Park, along with organizers Sawako Nakayasu (who did an incredible job of simultaneous interpretation) and Rachel Levitsky--brought up some intense issues about gender, language, Japanese linguistic history and culture and, of course, translation. Anyway, there's an excellent report on the event at the American Literary Translators Association blog if you're interested in reading more. I'd recommend going to the panel discussion tomorrow (Friday) at 7pm at Poets House. Master translators Rosa Alcala and Cole Swensen will also be part of the event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home